Monday, September 30, 2013

Will You Follow Christ....Anywhere?

Will I follow Christ anywhere? This is a question I ask myself on a regular basis to ensure I remain fully surrendered to Christ's rule over my life. If I am not fully yielded to His will how can accomplish His will and "live in the flesh by the faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). As a follower I must examine my expectations of following Christ versus what He commands of me. Any student of scripture knows that Jesus never promised earthly benefits like the world does. His Kingdom wasn't of this world. In Luke 9:57,  a disciple said to Jesus "I will follow You wherever You go." But in the very next verse Jesus doesn't say "that's great" or "you will be blessed" or "we are going to have a great time." No, Jesus tells this man and those who were within an earshot that He had no place to lay His head. Jesus didn't have a bed of His own, He had no place to call home. Now, if a person is not fully surrendered and under submission the power of the Holy Spirit, then there is no way a rationale person will follow a man who has no bed or home. But as Oswald Chambers wrote many years ago "Jesus Christ had no tenderness whatsoever toward anything that was ultimately going to ruin a person in his service to God." To follow Christ means stepping out on faith and possessing a yielded spirit that is willing to "go" when called. This is not a normal mindset for the average person, even within Christian circles. To those living for themselves and for their own treasure and rewards, to follow Christ "anywhere" is "career suicide."  The cost is simply too great. But for the committed follower life is not about clinging to physical and emotional security or comfort. But life is not so much now, but in eternity.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment