Monday, October 21, 2013

Return to Corporate Chaplains and a Jehovah's Witness

By the grace of God I made my return to Corporate Chaplains of America today after being deployed and absent for over 13 months. I spent my day with the employees of the Coca-Cola Regional Operations Center in Monroe and it was perhaps the most enjoyable day I've had since beginning my ministry as a chaplain. For those who read my blog, I would like to thank you and everyone else who so graciously welcomed me back. I was overwhelmed with joy by the gracious comments made by those who missed my presence over the past 13 months. Like every season of life, there were new faces and some that were no longer there, and there was even another good friend who passed away last year. He will be missed by many. I can't wait to see what the Lord has laid before me for the rest of the week. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the warm welcome!

On another note, as I stopped to get gas this morning on my way to Coca-Cola, I was approached by a Jehovah's Witness while I was pumping gas. He asked me "if I would like to know the truth"? Of course wanting to play along I said yes and he handed me a Watchtower brochure. After he started his presentation (since my time was limited) I stopped him to ask about "their bible" the New World Translation. Without going into the whole conversation, let me explain a simple truth about "their bible" and the verse which comes to mind, the words of Peter as he spoke about Paul's inspired letters "there are some things in them hard to understand which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures" (2 Peter 3:16).
As some may not know, for years Jehovah's Witness handed out King James Bibles to their members and then later the American Standard Version. Once they determined that no matter what they did or what Bible translation they used, it was impossible to reconcile their teachings and doctrine with the Bible. So the New World Translation was written and has even been rewritten, advised, twisted, and reinterpreted to adjust to their new doctrines over the past sixty years (this man even told me they had a new and improved version fresh off the press).

After I asked him to explain how Jesus is an angel (a belief they hold) he changed the subject and ended our conversation.

It was truly a blessed day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment