Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lukewarm

I came across the story of the church of Laodicea in a book I was reading, so I went back and read this story again in the book of Revelation. In Revelation 3:14-22 Christ gives this church no compliments. It seems that nothing was right about the church in Laodicea. Laodicea was known to have an aqueduct system to supply its water so Christ drew from this to make an illustration. The author of my book wrote how cold water was refreshing, hot water was cleansing, and lukewarm water was nauseating. Which I think everyone would agree with. The scripture reads "I know your works, that you are either cold or hot. I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of My mouth." (v. 15-16).
Christ was addressing the works of the church, He knew they professed to love Him, but their works and actions were halfhearted at best, making them lukewarm. Ultimately, only Christ's opinion matters and He was angry with the church at Laodicea.
Every Christian must refrain from becoming insincere or self-indulgent. When a believer becomes lukewarm to Christ he or she might as well be ice cold, because he or she no longer has any spiritual worth to God.
This scripture is a great reminder for all believers to never let their zeal grow "lukewarm" for Christ, but to remain hot through the Holy Spirit.
The world and the enemy pose the greatest dangers to having a lukewarm heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment