Friday, March 1, 2013

Self-Examination

Something we have to do as Christians is examine our hearts and test ourselves to see if we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5). This is something I do daily. I fall short in many areas, but I'm grateful to be able to see my errors and this is only because God allows me to see them. I have learned that a believer never gets beyond the need for regular self-examination.  We are also called to do this before prayer and before receiving the Lord's Supper.
This deployment has been challenging in ways that only few can understand from my perspective. I wake up each day with one purpose and that is to be on mission for the Lord. My heart breaks for the unsaved and many days there seems to be walls placed in my way, primarily by the Devil and his forces. I get frustrated and after self-examination, I have found a great amount of cynicism in my heart. During my time of study, I was reading Jesus' instructions to His disciples in Mark 6:6-13. Jesus told them if any place doesn't welcome you and people refuse to listen to you, when you leave there, shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.
If I could I would shake the dust off my feet, but I have no where else to go at the moment, the Lord has me here in Egypt. 
This action of shaking the dust off their feet, was a gesture of judgment against those who rejected their message about Jesus.
I pray that God will cleanse my heart of my cyncism and break open the hearts of our soldiers to receive the gospel.
I love people and it hurts when they won't even taste what the Lord has to offer.
If they get a taste, they will be fulfilled for life and find the the Bible is worth living.
 

8 comments:

  1. "Taste" respect for those you serve that are not Christ. You can start by capitalizing Soldiers. The Lord works in misterious ways. How many times do you have to encounter adversity and attribute it to the devil before you realize the consistent and pervasive obstacles you encounter are actually signs from God that you are going the wrong way? Would anyone but Christ be this consistent?

    Most people on SC think God surrounds you but is not truly within you.
    Heb. 3:15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I may not agree with what you say, I would love to speak with you.
      Please come by and see me anytime, I have a open door policy and am always willing to listen.

      Also, the word soldiers is never capitalized.

      Delete
    2. If you are a Soldier in the US Army than you are supposed to capitalize the word Soldier (and the plural: Soldiers) in accordance with ALARACT 108/2005.

      Delete
  2. So, you think it is better to capitalize the devil but not Soldier? According to the grammatical rules of English, you are correct- you would not capitalize Soldier because it is not considered a proper noun. However, given that you wear a particular uniform - I believe your blog is named 'For God and COUNTRY'- draw a pay check from the privilege of wearing said uniform, you MUST capitalize Soldier. It's one of those things that are not an option. By capitalizing Soldier, you place emphasis on what it is we do in this profession. Capitalizing Soldiers pays homage to not only those who have come before you, not only those who stand in formation next to you, but more importantly, those who have paid the ultimate price and will not return to us-and have hopefully gone on to a better place. It’s a matter of respect and putting others ahead of yourself. Are you capable of such a selfless act?
    Looking at all your 'teenage-angst'-esque posts about how you are persecuted (..and even going so far as to insinuate that you are crucified with Christ for being a Christian), I would suggest that perhaps you would receive slightly less persecution and impediments to your 'ministry' if you showed a little respect to those around you. You bring it on yourself. Humility is a virtue to which you are void of.
    Let’s try this: We on South Camp read your little self-aggrandizing blog for the laugh. We all know you think too highly of yourself to ever correct yourself or truly look introspectively at your actions. Try humility for a change. Write a blog about what it means to you to be a Soldier … and capitalize Soldier. See if things improve for you for the better. If things worsen or stay the same; go back to disrespecting the American Soldier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your still welcome to stop by and see me anytime or I would be more than glad to meet you if you let me know where and when.

      May God Bless you!

      Delete
  3. You can shake the dust off your feet. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay here. Just quit. Think about how much less complaining you'll do once your back home, I mean from the sounds of it you have given up on the Soldiers here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you and all your hard work! I'm praying for you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. My strength comes from Him and you know words and insults don't bother me. I expect them. I'm simply called to love despite the insults.

    ReplyDelete